A blog chronicling the sweet, adorable, hilarious, ridiculous, and at times downright unbelievable events that go down in my second grade classroom.
RSS

Y'all Suckas!

I created this blog per the suggestion of a good friend. While sharing a recent hilarious incident that transpired in my classroom, he said, "Wow. You should have a blog."

And so it was that Y'all Suckas! Adventures in a Second Grade classroom was born. This blog comes into this world kicking, screaming, squirming, whining, laughing, crying, and sharing pearls of hilarious wisdom because, really, it is the brainchild of the students in my classroom. By blogging, I am merely passing on their wit and wisdom.

The inspiration for the blog title comes from one of my favorite teaching stories. Though I haven't been a teacher for long, I knew the moment this happened that this story would always be one of the best I have. Here goes...


It all started during the reading lesson. C refused to do his work. As had become my default response, I said: "Well, you don't have to do it now, but if you choose not to, you will do it during recess. It's your choice whether you do it now or later." He did not do his work. When I enforced my ultimatum at recess, he threw an epic fit: pencils and books were thrown, papers ripped to pieces, and he yelled. Oh, did he yell. Other students who had made the choice not to finish their work were also sitting and finishing. They watched, horrified. That afternoon, during Community Circle, C apologized to everyone. He said, "I'm sorry I been bad. Imma do better tomorrow, I promise. I be good tomorrow." 18 pairs of eyes looked at me, wide and wondering what to think. I responded, "Well, C, thank you for your apology. We look forward to having a great day with you tomorrow."

The next day was worse than the day before, if you can believe it. Another epic fit was thrown when he couldn't figure out what to do during writing. C stormed out of the room because he just didn't want to be there anymore. During Community Circle that afternoon, J said, "I'm sad today. C told us yesterday he was going to be better today, and he wasn't. I feel sad because it feels like he lied to us." So sweet and insightful. My heart had two responses: one was "Awwww, " and the other, "Oh. My. God." C was the kind of child capable of hurting another child, despite his small size.

I waited.

He stood up.

He puffed out his skinny little chest, glared us all down and yelled: "Y'ALL SUCKAS!!" While gesturing just as loudly with his arms.

Then he turned and stormed out of the room once again.

18 students stared at me, their eyes wide and horrified. I sat, torn between two responses: what I should do (ignore it) and what I wanted to do (roll on the floor laughing). Sometimes having to set the tone and model appropriate responses really bites. It means that most of the time, I don't get to react how I really want. So, as per usual, I did what I had to: I ignored it and moved on, lest the other kiddos get the idea that acting out like C means a laugh from Ms. L. Later, after all the kids had gone home, I laughed until I cried. Because, really, that's what a moment like that calls for: laughter that leads to tears.

That is hands down one of my favorite moments from last year.

Out of the mouths of babes...

No comments:

Post a Comment